Friday, January 4, 2008

Resolving

So, I decided to make one official New Year's Resolution.

I am going to try to not spend any money between now and February 29th.

That may sound weird at first, but allow me to explain. Obviously, I'll be buying groceries and necessary household items. My plan is to not "shop for fun" until March 1. I guess I could say I'm not shopping for myself until March. No cute shoes from P@yless, even with they're BOGO (buy one, get one half off). I've found the cutest london blue topaz earrings I want. Nope. Not getting them.

Truly, I have a hard time really keeping our home neat. We tend to have "stuff" and I'm not good at deciding where "stuff" should go so that it's out of the way, but I can find it when I need it. So, no more "stuff" coming into our home that isn't necessary.

We just had Christmas, so I have plenty of clothes. And shoes. Hubby even got me some very pretty amethyst jewelry for Christmas. So, I really don't need any more jewelry. (Even though I do want those aforementioned earrings, I don't need them.) I'm trying to convince myself.

Think about the impact it can have on our finances if we only bought necessities. I'm sure we could live on Hubby's income alone. Imagine that, saving my entire paycheck. Wow.

Obviously, there will be the occasional "extra." My dad's bday is later this month. Of course, he's getting a gift. Hubby and I plan a ski trip to North Carolina every year. We're still going. Although it will involve spending money, it doesn't involve bringing things into our home.

Truly, I'm not sure if my goal is to spend less or to have less "stuff," but I think it will be rewarding either way.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

1 comment:

Mom's on a Diet said...

I love your idea of unneccesary spending for a while. It's something that I've been trying to convince DH of for some time. That, or carrying around a memo pad to write down when we spend. I know there's got to be a way to curb in some of our spending enthusiasm. I'm anxious to see how you do!