I have learned several things this week:
- Posting my food journal daily is important to my success. I didn't do that this week and I felt kind of "out of sorts." I try to be "super" good 98% of the time so that 2% of the time I can treat myself and it not affect my weight loss. Without a food journal to look over, I can't remember how good or how many treats I've had.
- The experts are right! Exercise really does curb my appetite. I was starving on my way home last night, but I knew that if I wanted to exercise outside, I would have to do it first thing because it is now getting dark earlier (darn it!). I went out and hiked about 1.5 miles and on the way home, I wasn't even remotely hungry.
- I am able to go through the motions, even when I don't feel like it. This is a big one for me. We had a hectic weekend and I wasn't sure how I did (see #1 above). I weighed Mon. and had lost .5 pounds. Out of curiosity, I weighed Tues. morning also. I was up .5 pounds. I know I didn't gain a pound in a day, but it kinda bummed me out. (I try to only weigh once a week, but I this time I made an exception.) I was thinking of all the bad things I was going to eat since this "just isn't working." But, I didn't. I didn't feel like sticking with it, but I did. Just like I don't always feel like going to work, but I do it anyway. I stuck with it, the scale balanced out, and I ended up with a 1.5 pound loss for the week.
- Don't let one reading on the scale affect my whole outlook. See #3.
- Exercise is key, but I have to make it something I enjoy doing. However, if the weather is bad, I need to suck it up and just do an activity (workout dvd, for example) just because I have to do it to reach my goal.
- Finding a non-food hobby is helpful. I am learning to sew. I have a few hobbies that I enjoy doing that make it literally impossible to eat while I'm doing them - rubber stamping, crocheting, sewing. I definitely can not eat while I'm doing any of these things. This really helps late night cravings. I am distracted, plus I am doing something productive.
- I am really encouraged when I read other people's blogs about their weight loss. If I'm feeling unmotivated, I can go to read them or just learn that I'm not alone when I feel like I'm struggling.
That's my take on the week. Thanks for reading - I hope you have a great week!