Tuesday, August 14, 2007

WFMW-getting rid of food residue

Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer is hosting Works for me Wednesday this week.


My tip is how to get rid of stubborn food that is baked on dishes or (gasp!) went through the dishwasher once and is still there.


This works for me 100% of the time: I take the dish and pour a *little* (1/2 a spoonful?) of powdered dishwashing detergent in/on it, then add water - warm or cold. (Wherever the food residue is, that part needs to be covered with water.) Let it set overnight. The next morning, I'll pour out the water and then rinse it with the sprayer. The food just slides right off! Then I wash as usual.


(I've heard that you do the same thing with a used dryer sheet. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but if you find out it works, let me know!)


Either way, getting my dishes clean without using a lot of elbow grease - Works for Me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good tip. Where I live in So. Cal. the water is very hard just soaking dishes does not make the yuck rinse away. I'll try your suggestion...thanks.

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

Hey...I've never thought of that one. I'll try it, as I have a pan right now that needs a good soak!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I usually just soak overnight with some water and maybe a little dish soap, but that sometimes still requires a lot of elbow grease. I'll definitely try this solution!

AnneK said...

Good idea! Will have to try it soon.